Thursday, July 3, 2008

Trying to be tactful with Tactics


I've been watching Tactics the past few weeks. So far I've made it up to episode 10 and I have to admit.. I'm barely holding on. The plot is so thin it's practically translucent. Kantarou found and released Haruka in the first episode and all that has happened since then is demon killing and monster taming and ocassional slightly humourous arguments. No real plot advancement, just a bunch of short stories with a different plot each episode.

That type of storyline is similar in Mizushima's xxxHolic. (which I am also currently watching) I don't know whether it's the more intellectually stories in xxxHolic or the unique character design and illustration but I find myself more engaged while watching it.
My only complaint about xxxHolic is how the main character Watanuki acts like such a blatant imbecile around Himawari or whenever she is mentioned. I know deep down inside that it's only a momentary phase of stupidity as hopefully further on in the series he changes into a more confident and secure man. Hopefully..
I DO Like his positivity and willingness to look for the best in everyone. (even Domeki eventually) It's one of the qualities that makes him a likable protagonist. Yuko's beauty, charm, and cleverness wins pretty much everyone's attention right from the beginning. Not to mention her two adorable echoing sidekicks. Even Watanuki's sworn enemy Domeki is likable. Pretty much an allstar cast of enjoyable characters. xxxHolic is an anime I will definitely be finishing.

No comments: