Tuesday, July 1, 2008

His and Her Circumstances

I'm about halfway through the series His and Her Circumstances and I have to say it both amazed and disappointed me. Moreso amazed. But yes.. disappointment. They seem to have quite a lot of flashback scenes which I suppose wouldn't seem so irritating if you had been watching the series an episode a week on TV compared to a chunk of episodes at once. But yes, flashbacks always frustrate me and they seem to be used quite a bit in this anime. On a more positive note (I swear I'm an optimist, I SWEAR) the animation style is beautiful. They use quite a few still shots which I am assuming is from the manga. (I have not read it)
They were also not afraid to experiment with different types of animation. The reocurring city surroundings clip played several times in episode 13 while Tsubasa was reflecting upon herself intrigued me. I found it to be a beautifully artistic way to represent that part of her life. It also created a new visual interest for the episode.
Kare Kano is definitely a consuming drama (thankfully not as emotionally exhausting as Peach Girl @_@) and almost every love scene had me on the edge of my seat. Masami Tsuda has the ability to create so much tension and suspense in the seemingly most simple of romantic situations. Things like kissing and hugging, which aren't considered much by North American standards, are given a new and more important standing in the hierarchy of crucial relationship checkpoints. It's enough to make me wish I could relive all my first experiences. Ahhhh to be young again. I am a sucker for romance and His and Her Circumstances has enough to keep me watching the next half of the series. I'm sure it will continue with more learning experiences, personal growth, and Arima and Miyazawa's relationship drama. I do wish the best for them and hope they stay together.

I suppose only time and higher episode numbers will tell >_>

No comments: