Friday, June 27, 2008

Death Note Short Review

Hello everyone. My name is Amy and I'm an anime addict.

Being out on the road and away from long hours of internet access has left me slightly behind the times.

Well.. okay, what I'm about to admit isn't really affected by my recent lack of connection enjoyment, but moreso a more longterm slacking on my part.

I, Amoo, have only now JUST begun watching Death Note. *cringe*

Now, now! Please refrain from pelting me with tomatoes and last night's left over sloppy joe as I already feel guilty enough about it. D:

So far I have only seen the first four episodes in English dubbing (again, please refrain from throwing legumes in my general direction) which, to my surprise, I found not too bad. Both the anime AND the English voice casting, I mean. If you'd like to check it out, click here and here. (first two eps in english dub)

The beginning of the anime moves along rather fast with the introduction of Ryuk and Light's plans for the Death Note happening in the first episode. By episode four, the enigmic and mysterious L has already found so much information on the where abouts of Light that it's hard for me to imagine what other major elements can be added to the plot to make it continue the 33 more episodes to equal the full 37 episode length of the series.

Ryuk really has to be what makes the series for me. He's just there to enjoy the ride AND even though he says he's not picking sides with anyone, when he somewhat helped Light out with the stalking FBI man in episode four, I had to really wonder if he was keeping his word. Could Ryuk actually find amicable qualities in Light? Or is he only giving him hints of help to keep the whole dramatic ordeal going so he has something to amuse himself with? I suppose only time will tell.

Also, I don't even want to THINK about the look that will be on Soichiro's face when he finds out Light, his son, is "Kira". Oi yoi, parental disappointment is one of my worst nightmares. Mind you, my worst disappointment to my parents (almost failing a class) is nothing compared to that of Light's (killing hundreds of peeps with a Shinigami's Death Note)

You know, if something like that was to actually happen, someone murdering the criminal minds of this world, would we act the same as society did in Death Note; scold his actions to keep appearance but quietly cheer him on behind closed doors? I wonder..

Either way, I hope Death Note continues in the great pace it began with.

Update soon!

No comments: